So I haven’t formally made any new year’s resolutions for about three or four years now, but I’m in such a time of transition these days that it seems prudent. Plus I’m just trying to get my health, both mental and physical back on track after a crazy near two year stint in Africa. It’s been really easy these last couple years to just shrug and say “eh, what’s one cigarette gonna do?” or “sure, I’ll have an extra helping of yam pilee, what’s the big deal?” or “running? I’ve got plenty of time to get back into that.” While I’m definitely healthier than a large portion of Americans, that’s not really anything to brag about these days. It’s been about two months since I’ve regularly ran anything more than the occasional 20 minute jog and it’s time I lost some of those more unsavory habits I picked up in Africa. I’ve got new, red hair and plenty of time before life starts getting crazy again, so I might as well make some lists. I decided to pick my top five, High Fidelity style and I added measurements to the goals, because otherwise how do you know you’re really reaching them? So here it is, my goal list for 2012:
5. Be at peace. I want to meditate more, live in the moment, enjoy life as it is now. Help people, focus on my own happiness, not get too stressed out with work and school and relationships, and money. I just want to maintain this awesome happy feeling that I’ve had the last few months and be a good person! I know, vague. MEASURE: Laugh every day.
4. Get married! I want this wedding to go off without a hitch (heh, except us!) and have a first year of a happy marriage. My goal is to plan and execute the thing happily and without too many tears. MEASURE: An awesome honeymoon.
3. Work on my ADD. It’s time I tried all my options. I’m sick of it running my life. I’m ready to be clear headed and focused. Just in time for med school. MEASURE: Organized and successful first semester of med school.
2. Be healthier to my body. No smoking. Eat better and eat less, and exercise regularly. MEASURE: Fitting into my size 2 skinny jeans/reaching goal weight of 116 lbs.
And my number one, goal for 2012 is:
1. Get stronger. I want to be tougher. I know I’m a black belt, but I still feel like I could become a victim at any moment. I’m gonna take things into my own hands! Weight lifting, marathon training, heading back to my dojo and maybe starting some MMA classes. MEASURE: Running the April marathon in 4 hours or less.
So that’s that! I’ve started marathon training for the marathon on April 21st. I’ll post some stats and training schedules at some point, too. This will be my second marathon. I ran Boston in 2010 in exactly five hours. I want to take an hour off my time and do it in 4 or just under. That’s a goal pace of 9 minutes per mile. It’s gonna be tough. It’s been a while since I’ve regularly ran and I have not been particularly good to my body in the interim. But dang it, it’s time to step up! No more excuses! I’m going to lose the weight and get strong and healthy again!
I might not be baking quite as much haha. But I’ll supplement with running and training info instead. That’s almost as awesome as cheesecake, right?